Panellets are round sweets traditionally made from pine nuts that are typically eaten in Catalonia on All Saints Day. But that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them after that, although you probably won’t find them in Pasteleríasmuch after the 2nd. So, why not have a go at making them yourself?
500g marcona almonds
400g icing sugar
3 eggs (plus one for egg wash glaze)
a small potato/sweet potato
250g pine nuts
How to do it
- Cook the potato until soft, mash until smooth
- Mix potato with sugar, almonds and eggs until a dough forms
- Let the dough rest for an hour
- Create small balls from dough, about 20g each and roll over the plate of pine nuts to attach them.
- Glaze with egg wash and bake in the oven at about 220° C for 8-10 min
Whilst the pine nut and almond is the traditional panellet, why not try substituting these for increasingly popular flavours, such as:
- lemon zest and cinnamon
- desiccated coconut
Happy baking and good luck!